Projects

Sunday, April 19, 2020

I have lived a life of shame...

We talked about starting up a new project quite some time ago, Tokyo Kaido from Minetaro Mochizuki, to be more precise. I'd be nice if we could say here's the link to the first chapter but we can't.

I apologize, but I cannot say that we are starting up a new project right now...

...

... because we're starting two new projects! The first of which is Wet Moon by Atsushi Kaneko, you might know him from Soil(and if you didn't, you do now). He's like manga's very own David Lynch(the best way to describe Soil is to say that it's kind of like Twin Peaks) and his art style is very reminiscent of Charles Burns but his layouts and sequential storytelling give off this claustrophobic feel, very atmospheric stuff. Wet Moon is like a noir psycho thriller about a detective in the 60s obsessed with the moon and a woman. And he's got "a certain wound" on his head.



Here's
Chapter 1
and, uh...
Chapter 2


And the second project is... Tokyo Kaido! What's that? Are you thinking "but you said the first chapter isn't ready!", well... I can't say "here's the first chapter" because we're releasing the first two chapters, silly. This series centers on a group of young people that suffer from some rather peculiar brain issues, it's about how they cope with these problems so let's join them on their quest for happiness in this drifting life. Tokyo Kaido was actually Mochi's kind of "breakout hit", he made this just before Chiisakobe and it's where he kind of truly finds his identity as a mangaka (or at least that's what he claims).



Chapter 1
Chapter 2

And of course, this week's Chiisakobe chapter. Last week was a quiet day, the calm before the storm and this particular hurricane is named Kikuji. Buckle up.



Chapter 38

10 comments:

  1. I'm gratefully looking forward to new releases. I remember "Soil" very well. These are interesting choices. Thank you for the hard work. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It was a bit hard doing 5 chapters in a week😅 but we wanted to give each series a strong start so people can get a better feeling of what they're about.

      Delete
    2. A feeling was there indeed. Two foreign objects in two different brains create an impactful start🧠

      Delete
    3. 😂I swear we did not plan this
      https://i.imgur.com/fvfDrL2.jpg

      Delete
  2. Thanks for he chapter.
    Uuum,I don't know what's going on with Kiku.😮
    And congratulations for the new series. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kiku doesn't know what's going on with Kiku either😅 The pains of growing up.

      Delete
  3. yeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaahhh!!! Thank you guys!!! i cant believe its so hard to find atsushi kaneko and minetaro mochizuki scans!
    I´ve been wainting for someone to translate tokyo kaido forr years, keep up the good work!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's a bit crazy how hard it is to find stuff from them in english. Though I suppose there's a lot of Mochizuki stuff available now in both scanlations and licensed material.

      Delete
  4. Hello!

    Is that a quote from Dazai's Ningen Shikkaku? Anyhow, Chiisakobe is one of the best mangas I've read in a while (big Rushmore fan in high school) and I thank you from the bottom of my barrel.

    -hiro

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes it is. Since we decided on starting both series at the same time I had the idea of trying to play it like that and then patting ourselves on the back before announcing our "herculean feat" and then one of our members was talking about reading it and I was like "oh damn, now I gotta use that!". I loved the book and I loved Usamaru Furuya's adaptaion and the anime adaptation was really good too but it seems like they've gone a bit overboard with making adaptations of that book these last couple of years😅.
      Glad to hear you're enjoying Chiisakobe, warms my heart 😊. I hope you're also digging Mochi's Tokyo Kaido.

      Delete