Projects

Sunday, August 30, 2020

Return of the King.... of losers

So... Saruchinesu is back, I think you can see what I meant last week about the redraws being a pain in the ass.
This chapter is a Popeye crossover, here's Bluto


Saltiness ch. 4

Anyway, I wanted to mention that Minoru Furuya's career in the 21st century isn't quite as bleak as I kinda foolishly implied a couple of weeks ago. He's not a huge and popular name, but those that like him... REALLY like him. It's become a cliche for me to say this but "he's a bit like The Velvet Underground of manga" in that I think he inspires a lot of people but he probably doesn't tickle the fancy of the average Yuto but apparently he received praise from the likes of Taiyo Matsumoto, Inio Asano or the korean filmmaker Bong Joon-ho.

https://vasamoto.wordpress.com/2020/05/15/the-furuya-minoru-reinvention/

I actually completely forgot that Asano praised Himizu but I know for sure I read that interview years ago where he says that if he could choose between being a handsome man or a cute girl he'd prefer begin a cute girl.
Anyway, Minoru Furuya, I love that guy! A true suffering artist... He's like a modern day Tsuge. Hope his depression doesn't get as bad as it did with Tsuge though.



Sata is on the run, is he completely alone? can he trust anyone in this town?


Wet Moon ch. 16



This whole chapter/episode/whatever you wanna call it of Tokyo Kaido has been incredible, and as much as I loved the previous two, this one was just... wow for me. The way it build and then climaxes before winding down quietly... Mochizuki is so good and yet for the longest time I had no idea just how good he was... like most, I had only read Dragon Head and that was good and all but wow! Chiisakobe and Tokyo Kaido are incredible, his storytelling skills are impressive, he was always a good artist and a good writer, I'd say, but these two prove that he's a master storyteller.


Tokyo Kaido ch. 16

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the batch as always. Do you plan to open your own discord server in the future?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ehhh... we'll see...
      Don't really see the point in it but we'll ask next week to see if there's interest.

      Delete