Projects

Sunday, March 28, 2021

Two

Today, we have a oneshot by an obscure little mangaka named Inio Asano or Asano Inio if you will because it's a pen name. Not sure you've ever heard of him.

Lame jokes aside, What if Tokyo is a story he created for an art exhibit in August 2020, but since it was canceled for... obvious reasons, Asano talked to some people at Big Comic Spirits, revised some dialogue and released it there because, in his words, it would have lost a bit of its meaning if it hadn't been published then.

Asano isn't really someone that needs any sort of introduction, I'm reminded of Atsushi Kaneko saying that when he reads a book or finds a piece of music or watches a movie he really likes, he feels like like he just met a friend from a faraway place that he never had a chance to cross paths with yet. That's a pretty qt thing to say but I kinda understand what At-chan is saying and... I like it. In this particular case, Inio Asano is an old friend, at this point I've known him for almost half my life and his work has always inspired me. I remember reading Nijigahara Holograph and being blown away, and then rereading it again a few years later and discovering more and more things. It's my favorite work from him, it's SO dense that having lectures on it would be hard because you could deeply analyze each page in it, from all the symbolism to just the simple gestures and postures of the characters, the way they're placed on the page and the distance between each of them. But I still remember Hox dumping Oyasumi Punpun on /a/ shortly after he got the volumes in japanese, this was before that place became n/a/ruto. And I remember reading solanin, a manga that touched me in a way few things have, I do believe that it matters when you experience a book or a movie or a manga because you'll always be in a different place and for me, solanin was the most relatable manga I have ever read and I don't really like looking for "relatable characters" in fiction, I think that's a bit of a meme and I also think people misinterpret "relatable" with "perfect for me to self insert as" but I'm going off-track, solanin has a special place in my heart. And I really liked A Girl on The Shore too, I get why some people didn't but it's a picture perfect look at adolescence with all its angst and pain but also with all its hopes and freedom. I don't think a reader should ever pass judgement on a work like "it's too dark" or shit like that, that's an incredibly self-centered thing to say. It's funny, I love this dude but I have still yet to read Reiraku, the years piled on, it eventually got released in english (Downfall) and I bought it almost an entire year ago... and I've still yet to read it. Yeah, I tend to be pretty sluggish with things and I put off stuff for a really long time despite having high interest in said stuff. Oh Well. 

There really isn't much to say about this mangaka though, I mean... he has an army of assistant-slaves because of the wild things he does with his layouts but everyone knows that already. This particular story is an ode to Tokyo, the city of urban loneliness. The question will always be there but we need to press forward. Time waits for no one, it will tick away no matter what you do so make everything count. What if?

What if Tokyo (Inio Asano)


By the way, Inio Asano's current ongoing, Dead Dead Demon's Dededededestruction, and Akane Torikai's curent ongoing, Saturn Return, are being published in the same magazine, Big Comic Spirits. I think that's super qt. I am, of course, not reading either of them๐Ÿ˜… I heard Demon's Dedededededededededededestruction went on hiatus a lot and Saturn Return isn't licensed in english and the scanlation stopped early. I read at my own pace and and I want to properly experience a story instead of forgetting stuff as I go about my life. If you lost your reading list when md went down and you're panicking because you were reading 100 manga... take this time to restart and just... take things slow.  Stories are wonderful, don't make them titles in your list of "completed", experiencing them should be memorable, you owe it to them. The roses look beautiful, but you should also try smelling them.

Then again, don't let me dictate how you live your life, I just... don't like doing things just to say I've done them.


Moving onto his wife, I wanna touch on her note at the end of this story. No, not the song she was listening to on repeat when she drew this story, the less said about that the better (Why have you forsaken me, Akane? why?!) but I wanna talk about her criticism on the quality of the art. Now, it's pretty common for an artist to have issues with her past work but her issue stems from the fact that it's an early story and she had yet to create and define her own style. Compared to her later work, even the previous story in this collection, her lines are very thin all throughout the story, and her layouts are less defined, more... shoujo-esque, if you will, there is no space between her panels and the panels themselves have very thin walls. It fits the story though. It's always fun seeing an artist evolve and find their own style, that's something very unique to manga, because they start out early and because they're usually not fanboys trying to ape another artist, and because the editors usually don't interfere there and only give slight suggestions... except for popular manga magazines, the editor takes on a more "co-writer" role, but other than that, mangaka usually bounce ideas off their editors, they provide an outside opinion before the outside can read the work.

You've Gotta Love Song ch. 2


No saltiness this week but I must mention the fact that we are getting Minoru Furuya in english, it's Ciguatera and I urge everyone to buy it, even if your opinion on Ciguatera is that it's the weakest of his works, because if this sells well we're gonna get more Minoru Furuya in english. No release date as of now.


And another chapter of Water. These are pretty short, light on text and fairly easy to edit. Ch2 was done by a group that's still active and have their own website, ch3 appeared in Secret Comics Japan iirc, either way, it's been scanlated so here's ch4.

Kiriko Nananan - Water ch. 4


4 comments:

  1. Decent Asano one-shot, though the fact that he's already made manga with a manga artist as its protagonist (multiple times in fact) kind of devalues it.
    I love these write ups about each artist by the way! Personally, Nijigahara Holograph flew over my head completely ha ha, I'm just not used to reading manga like it's literature you know? Kind of makes me question my reading comprehension...
    Anyway, I've only just started coming here for Saltiness since MangaDex fucked off, but discovering Chiisakobee has been more valuable than whatever I would have discovered on the front page of MD, so thank you for your god tier taste in mango. I'll have to check out everything else in your catalogue now lol. See you next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does it? 'cause I feel like it's just the dust cover. It's like saying Takehiko Inoue rehashed old ground when he did REAL because he already did basketball manga before. I thought this Asano oneshot did everything it set out to do, and sure, maybe it didn't blow your socks off but it's a good look at today's society and Asano is a mater at portraying urban loneliness. That flashforward in the issue really made me feel fuzzy and warm and weird, just... butterflies in the tummy.
      Glad you're enjoying our other projects ^_^
      As for Nijigahara Holograph and your "dilemma", I always say that there's nothing wrong with not getting something, it's your attitude towards it that counts, if you think "I didn't get this so it's stupid and pretentious and just doesn't make sense" then ironically enough, you're being the pretentious twat ๐Ÿ˜… but if you think "I didn't fully get this but that was interesting... I wonder what I'm missing" then you'll be compelled to look up thoughts and analysis from other people and engage in conversations about it on the internet or with friends in real life. So if Nijigahara Holograph flew over your head then you can always just read it after some time, you can always just let it sit in your head as you dwell on it in dull moments of the day. I think people are afraid of saying "it flew over my head" and that's the wrong attitude.

      Delete
    2. Good point, I'll admit that I've only recently gone through his one-shots so I'm prone to picking on minor things like this :)).
      I might go for a reread of Nijigahara sometime, I need to find that perfect moment where I'm in the mood to take it real slow though.

      Delete
    3. For sure. I leave stuff in my plan to read/watch for, I shit you not, YEARS because I'm a moody person so I wait for the right time. There's no real urgency, you don't have to knock names off a list as fast as possible. Ain't no shame in, like, reading halfway through a long manga and then not reading a single chapter for a week or two, you should never force yourself just so you can finish it as soon as possible.
      As for Asano's oneshots, I think I mentioned this when I made that huge ass post about one and done's but while they're still great, I vastly prefer his longer works. At this point though, I should reread some of them, been a looong long time since I first read What a Wonderful Life...

      Delete